If you want to avoid getting the flu this winter, follow these 7 proven
techniques for boosting your immune system, fighting off germs, and
keeping your body healthy...
1. Boost your immune system with natural homeopathic solutions.
2. Exercise regularly. Exercise helps keep your immune
system strong. In fact, a recent study showed that mice who performed
mild exercise as soon as they were exposed to the flu virus had much
lower death rates.
3. Avoid sugar. Even small amounts of sugar can significantly
impair your immune function, making you more susceptible to a flu infection.
A large amount of sugar, such as the amount found in a normal can of
soda, hurts your immune function for hours.
4. Drink lots of pure water. Keeping your mucous membranes
well-hydrated is a key to helping them fight off viruses. Shoot for
about eight 8-ounce glasses per day.
5. Reduce stress. Too much stress has a highly negative
impact on your overall health and, over time, it will make you much
more susceptible to a flu infection. Studies show that prolonged stress
is at least partially responsible for 90% of all illness and disease.
Regular exercise and sufficient sleep both help reduce stress levels.
is a proven stress-buster that is easy, enjoyable and can be used on
a daily basis.
6. Wash your hands often. Also, carry a bottle of
alcohol-based hand sanitizer with you and use it frequently, especially
after you touch anything that others have touched recently (like doorknobs).
7. Eat immune-boosting foods on a daily basis. A healthy
diet, including a few proven immune-boosting foods, is one of the best
ways to avoid catching the flu. The best flu-fighting foods are:
- Fresh, organically grown fruits and vegetables
- Brightly colored fruits and vegetables are packed with healthy phytonutrients
that can strengthen your immune system, lowering your susceptibility
to the flu virus.
- Fresh raw or lightly-cooked garlic - Garlic has
strong natural antiviral properties that can help to fight off a flu
virus. Also, garlic provides a strong boost to your immune system,
especially when eaten on a regular basis.
- Green Tea - Like garlic, green tea has shown the
ability to both kill viruses and to stimulate the immune system to
fight off flu infections, especially when used daily. Try to drink
3-6 cups of strong green tea per day during the flu season.
- Cayenne Pepper - Cayenne has a long list of health
benefits and is believed to be a mild immune-booster. Also, cayenne
contains large amounts of natural vitamin A, considered to be an important
8. Get enough sleep
. Your immune system functions
much better when you get enough sleep. Most people really need about
8 hours per night for optimal health. If you're body is fatigued, it
simply won't be able to fight off the flu virus (or any other infection)
Learn more about Flu superfoods...
More Tips for Avoiding the Flu
The following techniques have been shown to help minimize your exposure
to the flu virus and reduce your odds of getting sick.
1. Keep your hands away from your face and head. The
flu virus enters your body through the eyes, nose, mouth, and possibly
even the ears.
2. Get fresh air every day. During the winter the
dry heat from indoor heating systems dries out your mucous membranes
and makes you more susceptible to viruses. If you can, during the day,
crack open a window or two to give your body some relief.
3. Drink little or no alcohol during flu season. Too
much alcohol impairs liver and immune function, which leaves you open
to all kinds of infections. Heavy drinkers are especially susceptible
to flu infections. Also, alcohol dehydrates your body which is always
bad during flu season.
4. Don't smoke... and avoid smoke-filled places. First
and second-hand smoke significantly impairs your immune system. It also
dries out your nasal passages and paralyzes cilia, the small hairs in
your nose and lungs that help keep out viruses.
5. Take regular saunas. Many experts believe that
taking a sauna several times a week can help to keep you from getting
the flu. Many people, especially in Europe, takes saunas just for this
reason. The air you breath in a sauna is too hot for cold and flu viruses